Aug 25, 2017

Suzy Cube Update: August 25, 2017

#SuzyCube #gamedev #indiedev #madewithunity 
In this week's update, I finally reveal the stupendous results of months of emails, Skype calls and negotiations! And some other little things...

Cake Anyone!?

As you might have guessed from the image up top, Suzy Cube is signed to a publishing deal with fellow Canuck publishers Noodlecake!!!

Noodlecake are, probably, best known as the developers of the Stickman Golf series and have published an impressive roster of hit mobile games over the years. Suzy will be in extremely good company!

In addition to the more publisher-centric duties of promotion and distribution, Noodlecake will also be helping me wrap up the development of the game as well as handling porting and additional localization duties! This means, more people will get to enjoy the game, which is what I've always hoped for!

What About Suzy?

So, what will this partnership mean to you, the player? Hopefully, a lot and also, not much at all. You see with Noodlecake on board, we'll be able to deliver a more polished product, a best version of Suzy, if you will. This, however does not mean we will be moving the goalpost. The project was a lot for me to take on alone from the beginning and I want to assure folks that the goal of this cooperation is not to enlarge the scope of the project but, instead, to combine our resources and expertise to get the game out to you in a better, more polished state. And, with any luck, maybe a little sooner than I could have done on my own.


Anything Else?

I spent quite a bit of time this week cleaning up my project and adding descriptive comments to the top of all my scripts.

Gotta play nice with others


All this, of course, is in anticipation of having to let someone else into the deep dark recesses of my, as of yet, solo project!! Scary!.. Both for me and them, I'm sure!

Also, I solved one of those annoying little issues which testers had been bringing up since day one...
Suzy not automatically emerging from doorways. It seems like a small issue, and it is, but these are the little touches which help a game feel put together.

There you are!

The way I solved this was to write a script which, when triggered, can override inputs to the character. So, in the case of the GIF above, Suzy actually thinks the player is holding the joystick in the down position when she emerges from the doorway!

It's a bit late in the project to really make great use of this script, but it may come in handy when  it comes time to make a tutorial screen to show folks how the controls work. If nothing else, it'll be nice to finally not have to hear players ask me why Suzy disappears when entering caves...

That's it for this week! Man... Feels great to finally share the Noodlecake news with all of you. We've been in talks since GDC, but I didn't want to spill the beans until the contracts were signed and hands were shaken. 

So, please, join me in welcoming Noodlecake to the world of Suzy Cube!

See you next week!



No comments:

Post a Comment