Jan 20, 2017

Suzy Cube Update: January 20, 2017

#suzycube #indiedev #gamedev #madewithunity 

It is done! Suzy Cube has been submitted (in its early state) to the IndiePlus 2017 mobile games competition.

Prize Fight

This mostly meant cleaning up bugs, like the pause menu bug mentioned last week, and adding some watermarks etc. in case any screenshots or videos are shared.

Making the build available, via TestFlight was also tremendously important and mostly went off without a hitch. Which, on my crappy internet connection, isn't always the case!

Happy as a Pig in Gift

With the contest stuff out of the way, I turned my attention back to what I was working on before. Namely, Level 5-2 and the Piggy Bank... uh... not quite enemy. 

Finding a piggy in a gift box!
As I had planned, the Piggy Bank's behaviour is pretty simple. It simply runs away from Suzy. However, it's almost as fast as she is, so clever players will probably figure out that it's easier to trap the piggy in a corner in order to bop it.

You might also notice that I strove to make it really enticing full of bright twinkly effects!

Work on Level 5-2 also progresses well. For reference, it's a snow level in which poor Suzy will be chased by an avalanche ball of snow as seen in this post from a few weeks ago

I've started adding obstacles and hazards as well as blocking out the level's various sections.

A treacherous way down...

In order to get around the issue of handling checkpoints and the rolling ball, I've actually been splitting the level up into distinct sections linked by teleporters with each section having it's own deadly snowball which triggers as Suzy proceeds, usually down the first slide of a new section.

Well, that's it for now. I'll likely be concentrating on completing Level 5-2 for the foreseeable future. I did look into some of the last few UI tweaks I'm planning but it looks like they'll require a bit more under-the-hood refactoring than I originally figured so I've pushed them off, yet again. Building out the remaining levels is really my top priority as it's what's standing in the way of the next round of testing.

See you all next week!



No comments:

Post a Comment