Sep 4, 2015

Suzy Cube Update: Friday September 4, 2015

#gamedev #madewithunity #indiedev #iosdev #suzycube

I've been hard at work trying to finish up the first design pass on Level 3-3. Yep, still on it! I think, in the future I shouldn't get so hung up on isolated bits of polish.


I really need to give the final boss level some love after this one and I know it's going to take me a while as there will be a lot to make and engineer. After that, though, I think I'll need to start hitting all the other levels with broad brush strokes to get a rough skeleton of the whole game up and running. In fact, just today, I stubbed in a simple scene for Level 1-2 and realized that my level unlocking system has been broken this whole time and I didn't even know! It's good to find bugs like that sooner rather than later!

Since I've, mostly been working on the level, I haven't implemented a ton of new features. I did, however, implement a pretty cool one: projectiles! And with projectiles comes cannons! The cannon is essentially an object spawner so it can really shoot anything. In order to better manage memory I spawn a definable number of projectiles on level load for each cannon. In fact, they don't even need to be the same. I could have every third projectile from a cannon be a coin if I wanted to! So, on start up, each cannon instantiates a number of hidden projectiles for itself and at runtime, they simply loop through the array and enable the next projectile in order to "shoot" it. Since the cannon's firing behaviour is an independent script it can be used on more than just cannons or with a combination of different other behaviours. For instance, the one above has another script on it which causes it to track a target, which, in this case, is the player.


Seeking Rocket

In addition to the fireball projectile seen above, I've also created a rocket which will track the player. Every projectile has configurable parameters for speed, turning rate duration etc. And these can be overridden by the cannon firing them. So one cannon could fire very slow fireballs and another could fire really fast ones! It makes configuring challenges involving these much easier!

So, that's my short update this week. I hope to have some cool work on the final boss to show off next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment