#suzycube #gamedev #indiedev #madewithunity
You can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs, as they say. After making progress on Level 1-4 at the beginning of the week, I decided, on Wednesday, to throw it all away and start over.
A Fresh Start
As mentioned in last week's update, it took me a while to figure out what I wanted to do with Level 1-4, in the mean time I started building out the level without really knowing what I was trying to achieve. I eventually ended up creating these switch activated temporary blocks which were fun!
After continuing to dink around for a day or so, I ended up with quite a bit of the level built. Unfortunately, it really wasn't supporting the core mechanism of the temporary blocks which I had decided would be the hook for the level. After mulling it over in the evening I decided that first thing Wednesday morning I would save a copy of the level for safe keeping and then start over completely.
Putting Pencil to Paper
I spent all of Wednesday with a Col-Erase pencil in hand redesigning the layout of the level.
Paper design for Level 1-4
I started construction of the level in Unity on Thursday and today I finished off the first pass draft of the level and am feeling pretty darn pleased with myself!
With all World 1 levels now accounted for, I will be starting off next week with a lot of testing on my iPod Touch to make sure everything is in order, fixing bugs and optimizing the levels here and there before pushing a build out to select testers to start tightening things up before GDC in March!
Updates for the next few weeks will most likely involve bug fixes and should get more exciting again as I start nailing down the designs of the World 1 levels and begin prettying them up! I look forward to showing them off.
See you next week!