Jan 27, 2017

Suzy Cube Update: January 27, 2017

#suzycube #gamedev #indiedev #madewithunity 

Hey, folks! Looky what we've got! Level 5-2 all up and drafted! As I see my list of still-not-designed levels shrink, it's hard not to be overtaken by a lulling sense of impending completion, but I must fight it and stay focused if I am to ever get the game into your hands!

An End in Sight?

Ok, that might have been a tad dramatic, but I am starting to get a sense of there being a light at the end of the tunnel. My level design to-do list now only has four regular levels and four special levels left on it!

Before we all get too excited, though, I must remind all of you... And myself... That once I get through this list, I will have a draft version of every level done. This will lead into several rounds of user testing and iterations to improve the levels before gradually giving way to levels getting nailed down and ready for final decoration. Completing the level drafts is, of course, a HUGE step toward releasing Suzy Cube, but it is by no means the final step. Much work still lies ahead!

Snowy Slopes

On that cheery note, let's talk about Level 5-2! I put the finishing touches on the initial design yesterday. I think the stage will be a fittingly challenging one which should be a nice fit for World 5 and be a perfect lead-in to the more relaxed feel of Level 5-3. The constant pressure of the Impending-Snow-Boulder-of-Doom certainly helps keep the tension high throughout the stage, and the varied obstacles should keep our little Suzy on her toes. (if she had toes)

Though this first design pass isn't meant to include any decorations, I did have to put in one little thing...

Oh no!

In case players don't immediately get that the big rolling snow boulder is dangerous, maybe noticing this poor frosty dude totally eating it will help drive the point home.

That's actually it for this week. Pretty much concentrated on the level the whole time. By yesterday afternoon, I started on the paper design for the next stage, but nothing ready to show yet. Check in next week to see my progress. 

Ciao!




No comments:

Post a Comment